[Python-Dev] zlib module build failure on Mac OSX 10.4.7

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jul 1 21:12:24 CEST 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> What  I don't understand yet is why your copy of libz doesn't have
>> inflateCopy.
>
> What I don't understand is that configure does not detect that.

You may be onto something there. Skip, do you have another copy of
libz somewhere? Given the link line in your first message either in /
usr/local/lib or /Users/skip/local/lib. And if you have, is that a
static library (libz.a) instead of a dylib?

As background to my question: the linker on OSX behaves slightly
different than the one on most other unix-y systems. It first
searches the entire linker path for shared libraries (dylibs) before
looking for static libraries. I added a flag to the link flags for
the zlib extension a while back that changes the search order into a
more traditional one: look in every directory on the linker path for
either a dylib or static library.  The new flag is  -Wl,-
search_paths_first.

If skip does indeed have libz somewhere else we'll either have to
make a matching update to configure, or roll back my change. If the
latter I'll have to tweak the build script for the binary installer
for OSX because I want to link that using a static copy of libz for
binary compatibility with OSX 10.3.9.

Ronald