[Python-Dev] import screwiness

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 06:59:49 CEST 2006

On 7/5/06, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Then later on we do PyString_GET_SIZE and PyString_AS_STRING.  That doesn't
> > work, does it?  What am I missing?
>
> The conceptual type of the object returned by PyUnicode_Encode().

Phew, I sure am glad I was missing that.  :-)

I saw as the first line in PyUnicode_Encode that it was creating a
unicode string.  I then went to look at PyString_Encode and saw the
same.  There I realized that the string created initially wasn't the
string returned (it's the object from _AsEncodedString).  Which
naturally tells me what you just did.  Thanks.  Now can you fix
test_subprocess hanging? :-)  Please, I'll even buy you lunch and a
coke at the sprints at Google.  You are coming, right?