[Python-Dev] "Missing" 2.5 feature

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 18:30:30 CEST 2006

[Neal Norwitz]
> There hasn't been much positive response (in the original thread or
> here).

Do note that there was little response of any kind, but all it got was
positive.  It's not sexy, but is essential for debugging deadlocks.
If you ask for positive response, you'll get some -- the use is
obvious for those who need it.  I didn't (and don't) think this needs
a "sales job".

> Given you forgot about it for over a year, how important can it be? :-)

Important enough that I stopped beating my wife to write the code ;-)

> What's the justifcation to add this feature, but none of the others?

Don't know which others you have in mind.  This is very simple code,
changes no existing behaviors, and has no potential to break other
code.  There is an extension module that tries to do the same, but
can't do so wholly safely.  It needs to be in the core to be done
correctly.  The new code, docs and tests are 100% ready to go.  How do
the others you have in mind stack up against those, point by point?

> Can we defer this to 2.6?

Of course, although waiting another ~18 months given the above seems
needlessly wasteful.