[Python-Dev] Discussion on Lib/test/crashers/

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jul 10 20:17:54 CEST 2006

As I am sure some have noticed, as part of my dissertation I have been
trying to fix the various crashers.  I currently have some patches in SF for
some of the crashers.  The other ones Armin and I have been talking, while
others I have not started yet.  Review for the patches or help with fixing
the ones I have not gotten to would be great.

http://www.python.org/sf/1202533 has a potential fix for the
infinite_rec_*.py crashers.  PyObject_Call() basically needs a recursion
check.  But there were some issues with PyErr_NormalizeException() blowing
up while trying to normalize the exception, that also needs to watch out for
hitting the recursion limit and returning a RuntimeError that does not need
normalization itself.

http://www.python.org/sf/1377858 has a patch for weakref_in_del.py .  Turns
out if you create a new weakref in a __del__ for self the weakref is never
notified that self is gone and it no longer has a valid weakref to
anything.  Added a check after __del__ is called to make sure that if any
weakrefs were created that they get cleared.

http://www.python.org/sf/1303614 is a discussion currently between Armin and
I on how to handle del___dict__.py .  Looks like more careful reference
counting is needed, but Armin is worried about a performance hit.  There is
also a patch there to fix loosing_dict_ref.py .

dangerous_subclassing.py, modify_dict_attr.py, and nasty_eq_vs_dict.py I
have not gotten to yet.  I am ignoring bogus_code_obj.py, gc_inspection.py,
and recursive_call.py since they either require setting the recursion depth
higher or involve an extension module.

-Brett