[Python-Dev] User's complaints

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Jul 13 12:53:28 CEST 2006

    >> He clearly wasn't fully master of the environment in which his
    >> customers ran his software, so I think it's understandable that he
    >> was caught by surprise by this change.

    Fredrik> a programmer that's surprised that code that relies on
    Fredrik> undocumented behaviour might behave differently if run on a
    Fredrik> different platform ?  *that's* surprising.

Not necessarily.  He may not have realized his customers were going to
upgrade their operating systems or that the upgrades would involve a new
version of Python.  Not everyone tracks every Python release.  In this case,
a) Python 2.4 had been out long enough to turn up in a new (presumably
Linux) OS release, and b) since Mr. Black appears to program in Python for a
living he should probably have been more attentive to new releases.

Maybe Mr. Black hadn't gotten around to testing his software with 2.4 yet.
Maybe the software was written on-site for a client and he didn't have
access to it to even test in his own environment.

Skip