[Python-Dev] Support for PyGetSetDefs in pydoc

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 15:15:46 CEST 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> For example, I could change inspect locally so that it gets the type
> of datetime.timedelta.days without adding a constant to types.py.  Or
> I could patch pydoc.py directly and leave even inspect.py out of it.
> Or I could create some stupid internal type in some stupid internal
> module who's only purpose would be to have a handle on member
> descriptors.  Or I could change datetime to be built-in.  (see what I
> mean about levels of ickyness? :).
>
> I'm up for suggestions.  I think this would be worthwhile to address
> in Python 2.5 since I think it would be good to have an accurate
> representation of Python's built-in types in types.py.  Ultimately, I
> really care about teaching pydoc.help() about instances of these
> types so that users can get better help when they encounter them
> (such as might be the case in 3rd party extension modules).
>
> Suggestions are welcome.

Could you include a "look up late-breaking types" function in types.py that
site.py calls after it finishes setting up the standard library path?

Still a little hackish, I know, but it seems less icky than your suggestions
above, as it means that fixing anything similar that comes up in the future
will only require modification of types.py.

Cheers,
Nick.