[Python-Dev] Community buildbots (was Re: User's complaints)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Jul 14 05:43:36 CEST 2006

FWIW, I tend to run a few project(*) test suites when doing minor
releases (2.x.y), just to make sure I don't break things. For major
releases, it's a fair bit more work - something like Twisted or Zope3
play at such a low level with the Python interfaces that there's
nearly always breakages or massive warning dumps (from memory,
zope.interface uses 'with' as an argument name, a lot).

The "community buildbot" idea is a good one, although it should just
be possible to write something for buildbot that checks out and
builds the latest Python SVN, then installs it to a temporary
location, then adds that location to the front of the path. Then each
project could just add a "Python SVN buildbot" to their exists bbot
install.

Anthony

(*) Typically includes Zope3 and Twisted, because I have these just
lying around.