[Python-Dev] Community buildbots

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Jul 14 07:11:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:27:56 -0500, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>The buildbot idea sounds excellent.

Thanks.  If someone can set this up, it pretty much addresses my concerns.

>If you're concerned about noticing when a new release train is pulling out
>of the station I think it would be sufficient to subscribe to the low-volume
>python-announce mailing list.  You will see announcements about alphas and
>betas there.  Even lower volume would be a subscription to the RSS feed of
>Python announcements on the python.org front page (scroll to the bottom).

I am aware of when new releases come out :).  What I'm not aware of is what
features (may) have broken my code, and why.  As long as Python's trunk at HEAD
continues to run the test suites cleanly, I am mostly unconcerned.  When it
breaks, though, I want a chance to look at the cause of the breakage, *before*
there is an alpha or beta Python release out and people are starting to write
code that depends on its new features.  Most importantly, python-dev is
extremely context-sensitive.  I want to be able to participate in the discussion
when my concerns are relevant and still reasonable to act upon.

Additionally I would like to know about these changes so that I can modify code
to support Python releases and release a compatible version of Twisted _in
advance_ of the Python release that's going to break them, so assuming users are
keeping relatively current, there won't be a window where their most recent
Twisted release will not work with the most recent Python release.