[Python-Dev] IDLE - firewall warning

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Fri Jul 14 11:33:13 CEST 2006

I have posted the following message to idle-dev,
but no reply yet. Just a suggestion:

The firewall warning message in the Pythonshell window
was introduced  in Python 2.3 (IDLE 1.0 or something similar?)

I remember well the problems, to which it was the answer.
(If I remember correctly I was involved in the discussion
thread which led to the introduction of that message.)

Since more than three years I've used IDLE on many different
systems and I didn't encounter a single Firewall warning since
then. (It seems that firewalls nowadays are not offended by
the use of 127.0.0.1)

Therefore, and because the message is long and ugly, I'd like to
suggest to delete it from the Python Shell window
and - if considered necessary - for instance to put
it into the IDLE Help - "About IDLE" submenu or
in a special IDLE-Firewall warning submenu of IDLE-Help.

Please observe that it pops up thousands of times and it's
read at most once.

Or perhaps a single-line message like
=== subprocesses use internal loopback interface ===
would do it, just to signal where you are as does the
respective line  in  -n mode.?

Regards,
Gregor Lingl