[Python-Dev] Community buildbots (was Re: User's complaints)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 14 14:45:04 CEST 2006

On 7/14/06, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> On Friday 14 July 2006 16:39, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> > Remember I also tried to push for more features to go in early?
> > That would have given more time for external testing.  Still
> > features are coming in.  Python developers weren't happy about
> > having to get things in earlier.  I don't see a practical way to
> > implement what you propose (see Anthony's comments).
>
> Following up on this point:
> Given the number of "just-this-one-more-thing-please" we've _already_
> had since the b1 feature freeze, do you really except that 90 days of
> feature freeze is feasible? And if there's not going to be a feature
> freeze, there's hardly any point to people doing testing until there
> _is_ a feature freeze, is there? Oh, great, my code works with 2.5b1.
> Oops. 2.5b9 added a new feature that broke my code, but I didn't test
> with that.

Maybe the basic question is right, but the emphasis needs to be
changed.  If we had a rule that said the final release was 90 days
after the last submission that wasn't to fix a regression, we'd ask
"Is this feature important enough to warrant delaying the release
until three months from now?"  I'm not sure what I think, but it
doesn't seem like an implausible policy.

Jeremy