[Python-Dev] logging module broken because of locale

Mihai Ibanescu mihaiibanescu at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 18:13:14 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 06:08:05PM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Mihai Ibanescu wrote:
> > It's up to Vinay to decide if we want to drop support for 1.5.2 in the module
> > included in newer pythons, or the attached patch would make it work for 1.5.2
> > as well (as in "it's not more broken than before").
>
> That still wouldn't work with Python 1.5.2, as that version did not
> support Unicode at all.

Yes, as I said, it won't be more broken than before applying the patch (my
first patch was breaking 1.5.2 completely).

If people choose to compile python 2.4.3 without unicode support, it won't
work either. But if you choose to disable unicode you probably live in a very
constrained environment and you may not be affected by the locale bug at all.

I agree the patch is not perfect :-) but I think it solves the problem for
most people.

Misa