[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, VS 2005 & Profile Guided Optmization

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sun Jul 23 22:41:46 CEST 2006

Trent Nelson wrote:

> Has anyone else built Python with Visual Studio 2005 and played around
> with Profile Guided Optimization?

Yes, there was some work at the recent Need for Speed sprint. Python 2.5 has
a PCBuild8 directory (for VS 2005) with a specific project for PGO.

> Results were interesting, an average speedup of around 33% was
> noticeable:

Yes, they are.

> Is there any motivation in the Win32 Python dev camp to switch from
> VC6 to VS 2005?

I think Martin decided to keep VC71 (Visual Studio .NET 2003) for another
release cycle. Given the impressive results of VC8 with PGO, and the fact
that Visual Studio Express 2005 is free forever, I would hope as well for
the decision to be reconsidered.
--
Giovanni Bajo