[Python-Dev] New miniconf module

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Jul 27 12:33:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:39:39AM -0400, Sylvain Fourmanoit wrote:
> Having JSON there would indeed be nice: In fact, I recall being initially
> surprised it was not supported by the standard library.
>
> But is there a need to choose? Why not have both? The miniconf approach
> has its advantages and differences:

I support this point of view: miniconf fills the hole that the stdlib
leaves for a safe and cross-version dumper/loader for simple objects
using the Python syntax.  In the same spirit, maybe it could be slightly
re-oriented towards a dumper/loader for more than config files; for
example, it could provide a safe inverse of repr() for common built-in
types.  Such a functionality has been discussed here a few times if I
remember correctly, but the code in miniconf is very close to providing
it.

A bientot,

Armin