[Python-Dev] Release manager pronouncement needed: PEP 302 Fix

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Jul 27 12:39:20 CEST 2006

Hi Phillip,

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 02:40:27PM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> If we don't revert it, there are two ways to fix it.  One is to just change
> PEP 302 so that the behavior is unbroken by definition.  :)  The other is
> to actually go ahead and fix it by adding PathImporter and NullImporter
> types to import.c, along with a factory function on sys.path_hooks to
> create them.  (This would've been the PEP-compliant way to implement the
> need-for-speed patch.)
>
> So, "fix" by documentation, fix by fixing, or fix by reverting?  Which
> should it be?

"fix" by changing the definition looks like a bad idea to me.  The
import logic is already extremely complicated and delicate, any change
to it is bound to break *some* code somewhere.

So although import.c is already by far the longest piece of code around,
I think that we need a patch doing the "right" thing, or else revert.

A bientot,

Armin