[Python-Dev] Which version of distutils to ship with Python 2.5?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 27 23:28:23 CEST 2006

At 01:51 PM 7/27/2006 -0400, Collin Winter wrote:
>On 7/27/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Collin Winter wrote:
> > > Is it intentional that Python 2.5 is (currently) shipping with
> > > distutils 2.4.0, while Python 2.4 (at least 2.4.1, 2.4.2 and 2.4.3)
> > > shipped with distutils 2.4.1? Judging from my own tests, distutils
> > > 2.4.1 fixed several bugs that some of my test suites depend on (the
> > > fixes, not the bugs ; ).
> >
> > Are these bugs not fixed in the distutils that shipped with Python 2.5b2?
>
>I now believe this to be a new regression that I had confused with an
>earlier bug report. I've filed a new report,
>http://python.org/sf/1529871. I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed
>some light on this.

As I noted on the bug itself, the problem is due to r46372, a patch
introduced by the need-for-speed sprint and which broke CPython's
compliance with PEP 302, by introducing non-None, non-importer values into
sys.path_importer_cache.

At the present time, I have not received an unequivocal response regarding
how the problem should be corrected:

1. Update PEP 302 and the "What's New" documentation to reflect this
backwards-incompatible change and require authors to update their code to
work with Python 2.5

2. Fix the patch so it implements the speedup in a way that is conformant
with PEP 302 as it currently stands  (I have volunteered to do this, if the
release manager(s) will authorize it)

3. Revert the patch.

No one has volunteered for any of the work required for #1.  I belive that
#3 must be done if #2 is not approved and no volunteers surface for #1 in a
timely manner.