[Python-Dev] Python Benchmarks

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 2 20:20:05 CEST 2006

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote in message
news:44803D2A.5010108 at egenix.com...
>> Granted, I hit a couple of web pages while doing this and my spam
>> filter processed my mailbox in the background...

Hardly a setting in which to run comparison tests, seems to me.

> Using the minimum looks like the way to go for calibration.

Or possibly the median.

But even better, the way to go to run comparison timings is to use a system
with as little other stuff going on as possible.  For Windows, this means
rebooting in safe mode, waiting until the system is quiescent, and then run
the timing test with *nothing* else active that can be avoided.

Even then, I would look at the distribution of times for a given test to
check for anomalously high values that should be tossed.  (This can be
automated somewhat.)

Terry Jan Reedy