[Python-Dev] Stdlib Logging questions (PEP 337 SoC)

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 03:04:12 CEST 2006

On 6/4/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> can we please delay the import until it's actually needed?  i.e.,
> until after some logging option is enabled?

I have asked her to make this change.

I don't like the extra conditional dance it causes, but I agree that
not wanting to log is a valid use case.

On the other hand, the one-time import cost is pretty low for a
long-running process, and eventually gets paid if any other module
calls logging.  Would it make more sense to offer a null package that
can be installed earlier in the search path if you want to truly
disable logging?

-jJ