[Python-Dev] Stdlib Logging questions (PEP 337 SoC)

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 17:04:41 CEST 2006

On 6/6/06, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> I notice in the PEP that BaseHTTPServer is on the list of candidate modules.
> Please don't mess with anything that logs in the common Apache log format.
> There are lots of tools out there that munch on that sort of output.
> Changing it would just break them.

In general, the format of the messages shouldn't change; it is just
that there should be a common choke point for controlling them.

So by default, BaseHttpServer would still put out Apache log format,
and it would still be occasionally interrupted by output from other
modules.

This does argue in favor of allowing the more intrusive additions to
handlers and default configuration.  It would be useful to have a
handler that emitted only Apache log format records, and saved them
(by default) to a rotating file rather than stderr.(And it *might*
make sense to switch asyncore's hitlog default output to this format.)

-jJ