[Python-Dev] Python Benchmarks

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jun 7 17:30:04 CEST 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> [...]
>> Overall, time.clock() on Windows and time.time() on Linux appear
>> to give the best repeatability of tests, so I'll make those the
>> defaults in pybench 2.0.
>>
>> In short: Tim wins, I lose.
>>
>> Was a nice experiment, though ;-)
>>
> Perhaps so, but it would have been nice if you could have come to this
> conclusion before asking me not to make this change, which would
> otherwise have been checked in two weeks ago.

I still believe that measuring process time is better than
wall time and have tried hard to find suitable timers for
implementing this.

However, the tests using the various different timers have
shown that this approach doesn't work out due to the problems
with how process time is measured on the platforms in question
(Linux and Windows).

We should revisit this choice once suitable timers are
available on those platforms.

Note that even with the wall-time timers and using the minimum
function as estimator you still get results which exhibit
random noise.

At least now we know that there's apparently no way to get it
removed.

> Still, as long as we can all agree on this and move forward I suppose
> the intervening debate at least leaves us better-informed.

Isn't that the whole point of such a discussion ?

I'll check in pybench 2.0 once I've tested it enough.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 07 2006)