[Python-Dev] Symbol page for Language Reference Manual Index

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jun 8 14:24:37 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:18:23AM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
> I am willing to do perhaps half the work needed to produce such in time for
> the 2.5 release.  In particular, I am willing to write a plain text file
> listing symbols (in ascii sort order) and section numbers, in an agreed-on
> format, if the idea is approved and someone else agrees to convert section
> numbers to page links and do the necessary latex/html formatting (with a
> Python script?).

There's a pool of volunteers for LaTeX formatting, so someone will
certainly handle that step.

> [I just realized that some links need to be within-page rather than to the
> top of the page and that I can cut and paste additional info if I find the
> appropriate regular index entry, such as
> http://docs.python.org/ref/parenthesized.html#l2h-342 for 5.2.3.  But I
> will work this sort of thing out with whoever formats.]

It's probably easiest to make a list of symbols and the corresponding
section names and optionally a snippet of the paragraph that should be
the target of the link. Section numbers like 5.2.3 and link anchors
like #l2h-342 are generated by LaTeX2HTML and not visible when you're
editing the source text.

--amk