[Python-Dev] Python Benchmarks

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 8 15:08:39 CEST 2006

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Huh ? They do show the speedups you achieved at the sprint.

the results you just posted appear to show a 20% slowdown for function
calls, and a 10% speedup for exceptions.

both things were optimized at the sprint, and the improvements were
confirmed on several machines.  on my machine, using timeit on the test
bodies, I get noticeable speedups for both tests; from my earlier post:

function calls:

>      25 usec per loop for Python 2.4.3
>      22.5 usec per loop for Python 2.5 trunk

try/except:

>      15.1 usec per loop for Python 2.4.3
>      23.5 usec per loop for Python 2.5 alpha 2
>      11.6 usec per loop for Python 2.5 trunk

maybe the function call issue is an AMD64 thing?  or a compiler thing?
do you see the same result on other hardware?

</F>