[Python-Dev] Subversion repository question - back up to older versions

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:26:40 CEST 2006

[skip at pobox.com]
> Maybe this belongs in the dev faq.  I didn't see anything there or in the
> Subversion book.
>
> I have three Python branches, trunk, release23-maint and release24-maint.
> In the (for example) release24-maint, what svn up command would I use to get
> to the 2.4.2 version?   In cvs I'd use something like 'cvs up -r r242'.  How
> do I get a list of tags?  In cvs I'd do something like 'cvs log | less'.

Second question first:

    svn list svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/python/tags

s/tags/branches/ if you want a list of branches.  Note that there's
nothing special about tags or branches in SVN -- they're just
directories, with agreed-to-by-project-convention names.  That's why
you don't find any commands that treat tags or branches as distinct
concepts.

First question:

   cd to the root of your release24-maint checkout, then
   svn switch svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/python/tags/r242