[Python-Dev] UUID module

Ka-Ping Yee python-dev at zesty.ca
Sat Jun 10 18:16:19 CEST 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Thomas Heller wrote:
> [some nice ctypes code]

Done.  Works like a charm.  Thanks for providing the code!

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Also, for Python 2.5, these imports could probably be replaced with a
> ctypes call, though I'm not experienced enough w/ctypes to figure out what
> the call should be.

Happily, we have *the* ctypes guru here, and he's solved the problem
for Windows at least.

> Similarly, for the _uuidgen module, you've not included the C source for
> that module or the setup.py incantations to build it.

Yes, the idea was that even though _uuidgen isn't included with core
Python, users would magically benefit if they installed it (or if they
happen to be using Python in a distribution that includes it); it's
the same idea with the stuff that refers to Win32 extensions.  Is the
presence of _uuidgen sufficiently rare that i should leave out
uuidgen_getnode() for now, then?

-- ?!ng