[Python-Dev] Switch statement

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jun 12 00:44:50 CEST 2006

Talin wrote:

> I don't have any specific syntax proposals, but I notice that the suite
> that follows the switch statement is not a normal suite, but a
> restricted one, and I am wondering if we could come up with a syntax
> that avoids having a special suite.

don't have K&R handy, but I'm pretty sure they put switch and case at
the same level (just like if/else), thus eliminating the need for silly
special suites.

> The only real difference between this and an if-else chain is that the
> compiler knows that all of the test expressions are constants and can be
> hashed at compile time.

the compiler can of course figure that out also for if/elif/else state-
ments, by inspecting the AST.  the only advantage for switch/case is
user syntax...

</F>