[Python-Dev] Dropping externally maintained packages (Was: Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 12 19:04:33 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> 4 of the 6 modules in PEP 360 were added to Python in 2.5, so if you want
>> to get rid of it, *now* would be the time.
>
> I'm all for it.
>
> While I am an enthusiastic supporter of several of those additions, I
> am *not* in favor of the special status granted to software
> contributed by certain developers, since it is a burden for all other
> developers.

Then I guess we should deal with before 2.5b1, and delay 2.5b1 until the
status of each of these has been clarified.

Each maintainer should indicate whether he is happy with a "this is
part of Python" approach. If so, the entry should be removed from PEP
360 (*); if not, the code should be removed from Python before beta 1.

Speaking with some authority for Expat, I'd be happy to have it removed
from PEP 360.

Regards,
Martin

(*) Alternatively, this PEP could be given purely informational status,
i.e. with section "no requirements on Python maintainers". Then, Expat
should be moved to that section: people can happily make changes to
expat, and whoever synchronizes it with the external source must make
sure these changes get carried over.