[Python-Dev] External Package Maintenance (was Re: Please stopchanging wsgiref on the trunk)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jun 12 19:59:55 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Maybe we should get serious about slimming down the core distribution
> and having a separate group of people maintain sumo bundles containing
> Python and lots of other stuff.

there are already lots of people doing that (most Linux distributions add stuff, directly
or indirectly; ActiveState and Enthought are doing that for windows, Nokia is doing
that for the S60 platform, etc); the PEP 360 approach is an attempt to emulate that
for the python.org distribution.

> I guess that's one way of doing it. But perhaps Python's setup.py
> should not bother at all, and this is up to the users.

or, for the python.org distribution, the release manager.

I'm not sure how to deal with things like documentation, regression tests, buildbots,
issue trackers, etc, though.

</F>