[Python-Dev] Dropping externally maintained packages (Was: Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk)

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Mon Jun 12 22:08:32 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> 4 of the 6 modules in PEP 360 were added to Python in 2.5, so if you want
>>> to get rid of it, *now* would be the time.
>>
>> I'm all for it.
>>
>> While I am an enthusiastic supporter of several of those additions, I
>> am *not* in favor of the special status granted to software
>> contributed by certain developers, since it is a burden for all other
>> developers.
>
> Then I guess we should deal with before 2.5b1, and delay 2.5b1 until the
> status of each of these has been clarified.
>
> Each maintainer should indicate whether he is happy with a "this is
> part of Python" approach. If so, the entry should be removed from PEP
> 360 (*); if not, the code should be removed from Python before beta 1.

I will be happy to say "ctypes is part of Python" (although I *fear* it
is not one of the packages enthusiastically supported by Guido ;-).
Well, if the compatibility requirements can be retained, at least (ctypes
should currently be compatible with Python 2.3, but that can probably be raised
to 2.4 when Python 2.5 is officially released, or shortly thereafter).

I am *very* thankful for the fixes, the code review, the suggestions,
and the encouragement I got by various python-devers.  I'm even happy
to revert changes by others done by accident (which destroy comatibility
with Python 2.3, for example. Well, there was only one).

Thomas