[Python-Dev] Dropping externally maintained packages (Was:Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 13 00:28:57 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>> But I don't think this is trying to say they don't care.  People just want
>> to lower the overhead of maintaining the distro.
>
> well, wouldn't the best way to do that be to leave all non-trivial maintenance of a
> given component to an existing external community?

If you remember that this is the procedure: sure. However, if the
maintainer of a package thinks (and says) "somebody edited my code,
this should not happen again", then I really think the code is better
not part of the Python distribution.

> I mean, we're not really talking about ordinary leak-elimination or portability-fixing
> or security-hole-plugging maintenance; it's the let's-extend-the-api-in-incompatible-
> ways and fork-because-we-can stuff that I'm worried about.

I can understand that (and supported it in the first place, as you may
well recall). You should decide whether you worry about that so much
that you don't trust python-dev contributors to treat this in a sensible
way. If you don't trust them, you should withdraw your code.

Regards,
Martin