[Python-Dev] Dropping externally maintained packages (Was:Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 13 01:36:36 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 12:28 AM 6/13/2006 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> If you remember that this is the procedure: sure. However, if the
>> maintainer of a package thinks (and says) "somebody edited my code,
>> this should not happen again", then I really think the code is better
>> not part of the Python distribution.
>
> The "this should not happen again" in this case was the *merge problem*,
> not the *editing*.  There is a significant difference between the two.

Well, you wrote, in

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-June/065908.html

"only to find that it doesn't correspond to any particular point in
the trunk, because people made changes without contacting me or the
Web-SIG. ...  Please don't do this again."

(where the three dots indicate something that you have done, not
somebody else)

>From that, I can only conclude that you requested that people should
not make changes again without contacting you or the Web-SIG.

It's not clear whether you want to be contacted before or after the
changes have been made. If "after" is ok, you should just subscribe
to python-checkins.

Still, Guido dislikes the notion of having to contact anybody when
making changes, as a matter of principle. I can sympathize with that
view.

Regards,
Martin