[Python-Dev] External Package Maintenance (was Re: Please stopchanging wsgiref on the trunk)

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 07:10:23 CEST 2006

On 6/12/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 02:00 AM 6/13/2006 +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> >IMO, the better way is exactly this you depicted: move the official
> >development
> >tree into this Externals/ dir *within* Python's repository. Off that, you can
> >have your own branch for experimental work, from which extract your own
> >releases, and merge changes back and forth much more simply (since if they
> >reside on the same repository, you can use svnmerge-like features to find out
> >modifications and whatnot).
>
> Yes, that's certainly what seems ideal for me as an external developer.  I
> don't know if it addresses the core developers' concerns, though, since it
> would mean having Python code that lives outside of the Lib/ subtree, tests
> that live under other places thatn Lib/test, and documentation source that
> lives outside of Doc/.  But if those aren't showstoppers then it seems like
> a winner to do it for 2.6.

I'm not sure I understand.  Is something like this the proposed
directory structure (all within the python repo):

  python/trunk/ - current top-level where Lib, Modules, Python,
Objects, etc live
      + Add another subdir under trunk/ called Externals/
               + under Externals/ would be a directory per project
(wsgiref, etree, etc)

And each project could have it's own directory structure?

This probably wouldn't be so bad.  It would be particularly good if
the subdirs under Externals/project could be similar (ie, they each
have a Doc, Lib, src, etc. directories).

The more consistency we have, the easier it is to remember and follow the rules.