[Python-Dev] request for review: patch 1446489 (zip64 extensions in zipfile)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jun 13 10:08:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

As I mentioned earlier I'd like to get patch 1446489 (support for
zip64 extensions in the zipfile module) in python 2.5. The patch
should be perfectly safe, it comes with unittests and a documentation
update. I'm also using this version of zipfile in (closed-source)
projects to handle huge zipfiles.

There are two backward incompatbile changes, both minor. First of all
ZipInfo will lose the file_offset attribute because calculating it
when opening a zipfile is very expensive (it basically requires a
full scan of the zipfile). This should be harmless, I couldn't come
up with a usecase other then reimplementing the read method outside
of zipfile. The second incompatibility is that zipfile will try to
raise an error when the zipfile gets to large, instead of reducing
the zipfile to garbage as the current revision of zipfile does.

The major changes in the patch are: support for ZIP64 extensions
which make it possible to handle zipfiles that are larger than 2
GByte in size and a significant speed-up of zipfile opening when
dealing with zipfiles that contain a large amount of files. These are
in one patch because large zipfiles support isn't very useful when
opening the zipfile takes more than 30 seconds.

Ronald