[Python-Dev] Beta 1 schedule ? (Bug in stringobject?)

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 07:41:22 CEST 2006

On 6/16/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> >
> > what's the beta 1 status ?  fixing this should be trivial, but I don't have any
> > cycles to spare today.
>
> Good question. PEP 356 says beta 1 was planned two days
> ago...
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0356/

beta 1 won't be released until the tests pass consistently.  That
hasn't happened much this week.  I updated the PEP's schedule.
Hopefully we can release early next week.  This means the code freeze
is likely to happen as early as Sunday (more likely Monday or
Tuesday).

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-checkins/2006-June/054104.html

> I'd also like to get the new winerror module in before
> beta1 is released - documentation will follow next week:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=305470&aid=1505257&group_id=5470
>
> Is it OK to first check in a pure Python version and then
> replace this with a C implementation having the same interface
> later on in the beta cycle ?

My answer is no.  We've had too much breakage.  There are so many
things already in 2.5.  We really don't need one more thing to break.
There will be a 2.6.  winerror has limited impact.  At this point, I'd
rather not see any checkins except to fix something that's broken.
tests, doc, and bugfixes.  I seem to recall a bunch of checkins
recently that didn't have a test.