[Python-Dev] Beta 1 schedule ? (Bug in stringobject?)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sun Jun 18 04:18:47 CEST 2006

On Saturday 17 June 2006 07:06, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >> Since replace() only works on string objects, it appears
> >> as if a temporary string object would have to be created.
> >> However, this would involve an unnecessary allocation
> >> and copy process... it appears as if the refactoring
> >> during the NFS sprint left out that case.
> >
> > what's the beta 1 status ?  fixing this should be trivial, but I
> > don't have any cycles to spare today.

I just confirmed that Martin and Fred are ready to do this on Tuesday.
We slipped a couple of days because of pretty bad builbot breakage.

> I'd also like to get the new winerror module in before
> beta1 is released - documentation will follow next week:

Hm. A new python module should be OK - but I was under the impression
that then large piles of the standard library would be updated to use
this new module. I'm less happy (much less) about this happening for
2.5.

> Is it OK to first check in a pure Python version and then
> replace this with a C implementation having the same interface
> later on in the beta cycle ?

How big is it likely to be? How much of a pain will it be to make it
work with various versions of Windows?

Anthony