[Python-Dev] Code coverage reporting.

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jun 19 05:12:39 CEST 2006

On 6/15/06, Titus Brown <titus at caltech.edu> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've just run a code coverage report for the python2.4 branch:
>
>         http://vallista.idyll.org/~t/temp/python2.4-svn/
>
> This report uses my figleaf code,
>
>         http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/figleaf-latest.tar.gz

Very nice, Titus!

I'm interested in feedback on a few things --

> * what more would you want to see in this report?
>
> * is there anything obviously wrong about the report?
>
> In other words... comments solicited ;).

Making the comments in the code stand out less (i.e., not black) might be
handy since my eye still gets drawn to the comments a lot.

It would also be nice to be able to sort on different things, such as
filename.

But it does seem accurate; random checking of some modules that got high but
not perfect covereage all seem to be instances where dependency injection
would be required to get the tests to work since they were based on
platform-specific things.

By the by, I'm also planning to integrate this into buildbot on some
> projects.  I'll post the scripts when I get there, and I'd be happy
> to help Python itself set it up, of course.

I don't know if we need it hooked into the buildbots (unless it is dirt
cheap to generate the report).  But hooking it up to the script in
Misc/build.sh that Neal has running to report reference leaks and
fundamental test failures would be wonderful.

-Brett