[Python-Dev] Switch statement

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jun 19 16:29:49 CEST 2006

At 12:10 AM 6/20/2006 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>Caching on first use would be the easiest to explain I think. Something like:
>
>      if jump_dict is NULL:
>          jump_dict = {FIRST_CASE  : JUMP_TARGET_1,
>                       SECOND_CASE : JUMP_TARGET_2,
>                       THIRD_CASE  : JUMP_TARGET_3}
>      jump_to_case(value, jump_dict)
>      ELSE_CLAUSE
>      jump_to_end()

Sadly, it's not *quite* that simple, due to the fact that co_lnotab must be
increase in line numbers as bytecode offsets increase.  It would actually
look more like:

      LOAD_DEREF jumpdictN
      JUMP_IF_FALSE  initfirstcase

do_switch:

initfirstcase:
      DUP_TOP
      # compute case value
      LOAD_CONST firstcaseoffset
      ROT_THREE
      STORE_SUBSCR
      JUMP_FORWARD initsecondcase

firstcaseoffset:
      first case goes here

initsecondcase:
      DUP_TOP
      # compute case value
      LOAD_CONST secondcaseoffset
      ROT_THREE
      STORE_SUBSCR
      JUMP_FORWARD initthirdcase

secondcaseoffset:
      second case goes here

initlastcase:
      DUP_TOP
      # compute case value
      LOAD_CONST lastcaseoffset
      ROT_THREE
      STORE_SUBSCR
      JUMP_ABSOLUTE doswitch

lastcaseoffset:
      last case goes here

The above shenanigans are necessary because the line numbers of the code
for computing the case expressions have to be interleaved with the line
numbers for the code for the case suites.

Of course, we could always change how co_lnotab works, which might be a
good idea anyway.  As our compilation techniques become more sophisticated,
it starts to get less and less likely that we will always want bytecode and
source code to be in exactly the same sequence within a given code object.