[Python-Dev] unicode imports

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 20 00:35:55 CEST 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
> It should be noted that I once started to convert the import machinery
> to be fully unicode aware.  As far as I can tell, a *lot* has to be changed
> to make this work.

Is that code available somewhere still? Does it still work?

> I started with refactoring Python/import.c, but nobody responded to the question
> whether such a refactoring patch would be accepted or not.

I would like to see minimal changes only. I don't see why massive
refactoring would be necessary: the structure of the code should
persist - only the data types should change from char* to PyObject*.
Calls like stat() and open() should be generalized to accept
PyObject*, and otherwise keep their interface.

Regards,
Martin