[Python-Dev] unicode imports

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 20 18:38:56 CEST 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Is that code available somewhere still? Does it still work?
>
> Available as patch 1093253, I have not tried if it stil works

I see. It's quite a huge change, that's probably why nobody found
the time to review it, yet.

> To be really useful, wide char versions of other things must also be
> made available: command line arguments, environment variables
> (PYTHONPATH), and maybe other stuff.

While I think these things should eventually be done, I don't think
they are that related to import.c.

If W9x support gets dropped, we can rewrite PC/getpathp.c to use the
Unicode API throughout; that would allow to put non-ANSI path
names onto PYTHONPATH.

Making os.environ support Unicode is entirely different isusue.
I would like to see os.environ return Unicode if the key is Unicode;
another option would be to introduce os.uenviron.

Regards,
Martin