[Python-Dev] Code coverage reporting.

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Thu Jun 22 00:56:02 CEST 2006

Titus Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:37:30AM -0400, Benji York wrote:
> -> Brett Cannon wrote:
> -> >But it does seem accurate; random checking of some modules that got high
> -> >but not perfect covereage all seem to be instances where dependency
> -> >injection would be required to get the tests to work since they were
> -> >based on platform-specific things.
> ->
> -> >I don't know if we need it hooked into the buildbots (unless it is dirt
> -> >cheap to generate the report).
> ->
> -> It would be interesting to combine the coverage over several platforms
> -> and report that.
>
> Yes, I noticed that the platform specific stuff doesn't get covered, of
> course.  It's very easy to do, *if* there's any way to get the coverage
> database from a central location (or send it back to a central location).
>
> It might be interesting to run coverage analysis -- either figleaf or
> Ned Batchelder's module[0] -- once a week on select buildbot machines
> (one linux, one windows, one mac, or some such) and make the coverage
> databases available via something like a downloadable static file.  Then
> anyone could download those files and do Interesting Things with them.
>
> --titus
>
> [0] I'm sorry, I don't know how Walter Dorwald generates his coverage;
> if it's OSS, then it'd be better to use because it shows C code coverage
> as well.

The script at
http://styx.livinglogic.de/~walter/python/coverage/PythonCodeCoverage.py
definitely is open source, so feel free to use in any way you want. The
web application front end though isn't open source. The SQL script to
recreate the database can be found here:
http://styx.livinglogic.de/~walter/python/coverage/coverage.sql

Servus,
    Walter