[Python-Dev] Allow assignments in 'global' statements?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:30:37 CEST 2006

Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:

> I'm sure I am not the first person to say this, but how about:
>
>     global x = 12
>
> (In other words, declare a global and assign a value to it - or another
> way of saying it is that the 'global' keyword acts as an assignment
> modifier.)

If we allow that, then we necessarily need to allow:

    global x, y, z = 12, 13, 14

... while I have also thought to myself 'it would be really nice to be
able to assign to a global when I declare a value to be global', it has
usually been a case of early optimization for me.  I don't really know
how I feel about either example above, I'd probably be +0.

 - Josiah