[Python-Dev] ImportWarning flood

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 05:16:36 CEST 2006

--- Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On 6/25/06, Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 June 2006 20:48, Greg Ewing wrote:
> >  > BTW, when that was being discussed, did anyone consider
> >  > allowing a directory to be given a .py suffix as an
> >  > alternative way to mark it as a package?
> >  :-)
> > I'd certainly be a lot happier with that than with the current behavior.
> > Silly little warnings about perfectly good data-only directories are just
> > silly.
>
> And silly whining about warnings for silly name conflicts are just as silly.
> :-)

I cannot smile here. I anticipate real damage in terms of $$$. To see what lead
me to the subject of this thread, please take a quick look here, which is the
result of running (most) of our unit tests:

    http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/tmp/py25b1_ImortWarning_flood

I can work around it, sure. Everybody can work around it, of course. But
consider that one hour of a professional person is at least $100 with benefits
etc. included. (If that sounds high, I know people charging much more than
that; also consider that the going rate for a car mechanic in the bay area is
$90, as you probably know.) Now say you have 1000 groups of developers having
to work around the warning (I bet you have more). There will be discussions,
alternatives will be tried and discarded, etc. Say that eats about 10 man hours
per group before the issue is settled, which again is a very conservative
estimate I believe. That makes a total of $1000000 in damages, at least. Is
that warning really worth a millon dollar?