[Python-Dev] ImportWarning flood

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 26 08:29:49 CEST 2006

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
> I can work around it, sure. Everybody can work around it, of course. But
> consider that one hour of a professional person is at least $100 with benefits
> etc. included. (If that sounds high, I know people charging much more than
> that; also consider that the going rate for a car mechanic in the bay area is
> $90, as you probably know.) Now say you have 1000 groups of developers having
> to work around the warning (I bet you have more). There will be discussions,
> alternatives will be tried and discarded, etc. Say that eats about 10 man hours
> per group before the issue is settled, which again is a very conservative
> estimate I believe. That makes a total of $1000000 in damages, at least. Is
> that warning really worth a millon dollar?

So spend some of the money to come up with an alternate solution for
2.5b2. With a potential damage of a million dollars, it shouldn't be
too difficult to provide a patch by tomorrow, right?

This is open source, folks. Business arguments don't matter much to
many of us. I don't get any money for my contributions to Python,
and I'm not whining about all the lost consultant fees I could have
collected while contributing to Python instead.

What matters are actual contributions: bug reports, patches, PEPs,
etc. In the specific case, make sure that your alternative solution
not only makes you happy, but also solves the original problem as
good or better than the current solution (read some email archives
to find out what the original problem was).

Regards,
Martin