[Python-Dev] ImportWarning flood

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 14:25:58 CEST 2006

--- "Martin v. L�wis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
> > If there is a consenus, I'd create a new exception
> ImportErrorNoModule(name)
> > that is used consistently from all places. This would ensure uniformity of
> the
> > message in the future.
>
> A correction proposal should only be given if it is likely correct.

It is not a proposal, just a "note". Maybe a better alternative would be

ImportError: No module name foo
    Reminder: To resolve import problems consult the section on "Packages"
    at http://www.python.org/doc/tut/

> There can be many reasons why an import could fail: there might be
> no read permission for the file,

The warning in 2.5b1 doesn't fire in this case:

  % ls -l junk.py
  ---------- 1 rwgk cci 16 Jun 28 05:01 junk.py
  % python
  Python 2.5b1 (r25b1:47027, Jun 26 2006, 02:59:25)
  >>> import junk
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  ImportError: No module named junk

> or the PYTHONPATH might be setup
> incorrectly.

That's impossible to detect.

> IOW, a hint about a missing __init__.py should only be given if
> a directory with the name of module was found, but lacked an
> __init__.py (i.e. in the cases where currently a warning is
> produced).

I am thinking you'd need to build up a buffer of potential warnings while
trying to resolve an import. If the import succeeds the buffer is discarded, if
it fails it is added to the exception message, or the warnings are "flushed"
right before the ImportError is raised. Does that sound right? How would this
interact with threading (it seems you'd need a separate buffer for each
thread)?