[Python-Dev] xturtle.py a replacement for turtle.py(!?)

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Wed Jun 28 18:10:19 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter schrieb:
> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 20:57, Gregor Lingl wrote:
>
>> I would very much appreciate if xturtle.py could go into
>> Python 2.5
>>

> Unfortunately Python 2.5b1 came out last week. Now that we're in beta,
> we're feature frozen (unless some horrible issue comes up that means
> we really need to do a feature change). This looks very nice, but
> it's going to have to wait until 2.6 :-(
>
> Sorry. Timing is everything.

So you mean that will at least last one more year? Not fine.

I wonder if this xturtle.py is a Python feature.
When Vern Ceder did his patch of turtle.py some weeks ago, there arouse a
discussion if a PEP was necessary to change turtle.py and the general
opinion
in the discussion then was no. So I thought, that turtle-graphics is some
marginal element in the Python standard distribution.  (I thought something
like features get defined in PEPs)

Already now, only one week after publishing it I have some very positive
feedback and people start to use it. So I think there is some demand for
it.
Moreover I think it could also help to convince more teachers to use
Python as
a first language.

Could you imagine - downgrading it's 'featureness' - to put it into 2.5.1
or something like this?

I'll have a talk at Europython 2006 on July 5th about xturtle -  an
opportunity if sombody feels it's worth discussing it.

Regards,
Gregor