[Python-Dev] doc for new restricted execution design for Python

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jun 28 18:49:23 CEST 2006

On 6/28/06, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That has been suggested before.  Anyone else like this idea?
>
> > [ What exactly does the limit mean?  bytes written?  bytes currently stored?  bytes stored after exit?]
>
> IMHO, I would prefer that it limit disk consumption; a deleted or
> overwritten file would not count against the process, but even a
> temporary spike would need to be less than the cap.

Some additional notes:

- File size should be rounded up to some block size (512 if you don't
have filesystem specific information) before adding to the total.

- Total number of files (i.e. inodes) in existence should be capped, too.

- If sandboxed code is allowed to create dierctories, the total depth
and the total path length should also be capped.

(I find reading about trusted and untrusted code confusing; a few
times I've had to read a sentence three times before realizing I had
swapped those two words. Perhaps we can distinguish between trusted
and sandboxed? Or even native and sandboxed?)