[Python-Dev] xturtle.py a replacement for turtle.py(!?)

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 19:03:03 CEST 2006

On 6/28/06, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

> Gregor Lingl <glingl at aon.at> wrote:
> > Could you imagine - downgrading it's 'featureness' - to put it into 2.5.1
> > or something like this?
>
> Changing features/abilities of Python in micro releases (2.5 -> 2.5.1),
> aside from bugfixes, is a no-no.  See the Python 2.2 -> 2.2.1
> availability of True/False for an example of where someone made a
> mistake in doing this.

This may be a stupid question, but we're talking about replacing the
turtle.py in Lib/lib-tk/, right? The one that's basically just a GUI
demo / introduction to programming tool?

If so, can someone explain to me how improving something like this is
akin to introducing new keywords that everyone will take advantage of
(to use Josiah's True/False example)?

While I have no opinion on Gregor's app, and while I fully agree that
new language features and stdlib modules should generally stay out of
bug-fix point releases, xturtle doesn't seem to rise to that level
(and hence, those restrictions).

Thanks,
Collin Winter