[Python-Dev] doc for new restricted execution design for Python

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jun 28 22:33:39 CEST 2006

On 6/28/06, Trent Mick <trentm at activestate.com> wrote:

> > >     I think there may be scaling issues there. JavaScript isn't doing
> that
> > >     is it, do you know? As well, that doesn't seem like it would
> translate
> > >     well to sharing execution between separate chrome windows in a
> > >     non-browser XUL/Mozilla-based app.
> >
> > And if you don't think it is going to scale, how do you think it should
> > be done?
>
> That was an ignorant response (I haven't read what you've suggested and
> really though about it). Sorry for the unsubstantiated babbling.
>
> To Bob's question on how much interpreter state *is* there: I don't
> know. Have you done any measuring of that, Brett?

Not yet; as of right now I just want a coherent security model since this
whole idea is dead in the water without it.  But I do know that interpreters
are basically execution stack, a new sys module, and a new sys.modules.  It
isn't horrendously heavy.  And C extension modules are shared between them.

-Brett