[Python-Dev] 2.5 and beyond

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Jun 30 12:05:48 CEST 2006

Ka-Ping Yee <python-dev at zesty.ca> writes:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>> The current list of serious bugs are in the PEP:
>>
>>   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0356/
>
> Among them is this one:
>
>     Incorrect LOAD/STORE_GLOBAL generation
>     http://python.org/sf/1501934
>
> The question is, what behaviour is preferable for this code:
>
>     g = 1
>     def f():
>         g += 1
>
>     f()
>
> Should this raise an UnboundLocalError or should it increment g?

I didn't think there was any question: this change in behaviour from
2.4 is just an accidental change, a bug that should be fixed.  If you
want to elevate it to feature status, I think we've missed the freeze
:) (and also, I oppose the idea).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  If I didn't have my part-time performance art income to help
  pay the bills, I could never afford to support my programming