[Python-Dev] Python memory model (low level)

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 21:13:07 CEST 2006

Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> Without answering your specific questions, keep in mind that Python and
> Python-C code are very different things.  The current Decimal
> implementation was designed to be *readable* and efficient *Python* code.
> For a look at what the Python-C implementation of Decimal might look
> closer to, take a look at the Python long implementation.

Er, perhaps I should have said explicitly that I was looking at the
Decimal-in-C code and not the Python.  Most of my questions don't
make any sense at the Python level.

But you have a good point.  The long code will be both simpler and
have had a LOT more work done on it - but it will address only the
object of variable size issue, as it doesn't need class-level data
in the same way as Decimal and I do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679