[Python-Dev] __exit__ API?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Mar 4 05:26:21 CET 2006

A few days ago there were rumbling noises that requiring __exit__ to
re-raise the exception (as I amended PEP 343 at the time) could lead
to easily-missed bugs in __exit__ handlers.

After thinking it over I think I agree and I think I'd like to change
the API so that the exception is only ignored if __exit__ returns a
"true" value.

The easiest implementation is probably to just let the WITH_CLEANUP
opcode do everything. This becomes a rather heavy opcode then but the
alternative is to generate very hairy code (like the original patch
did, full of ROT 4 choruses).

Any objections? I probably won't get to this until Monday.