[Python-Dev] conditional expressions - add parens?

Joe Smith unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 05:26:53 CET 2006

"Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:440CAAFB.5060702 at holdenweb.com...
> Jim Jewett wrote:
>> I think that adding parentheses would help, by at least signalling that
>> the logic is longer than just the next (single) expression.
>>
>>     level = (0 if "absolute_import" in self.futures else -1)
>>
> Contrast with the bleeding obvious:
>
>     level = 0
>     if "absolute_import" in self.futures:
>         level = -1
>
> or even, if a certain obscurity is desirable:
>
>     level = - ("absolute_import" in self.futures)

Wait a second.

I may be just a user but if the above is correct then that syntax needs to
die!
There is no logical reason for "XX if YY else ZZ" to be roughly equivlent
to:
"if (YY) then {ZZ} else {XX}" , but AFAICT that is pretty much the way you
expanded that.
I hope I misunderstood, or that there was a typo in a post.